Bookkeeper does not have all the tax rates for all localities, so if your local tax is not in the tax tables, you will need to create this manually.
To do custom deductions, or to setup a withholding for a locality that is not included in the tax table list:
- Open Bookkeeper and login with your password.
- Click Accounting and then Chart of Accounts.
- In the Name field enter in a name such as "Local Tax 1" or "Custom Deduction 1". This is only an example. The name of your account should reflect what will be deducted.
- Place a check in the [ ]Main Account checkbox.
- Set the group to be "Current Liability".
- Set the type to be "Payroll Deduction".
- Click the Add button, and this will add this to the database.
- Click OK.
Now, to use that deduction you can click onto the Employees screen, choose an employee and click on the Deductions tab. You will see the account that you created, so you can then choose the method, input the dollar amount or percentage, and then choose the check boxes if this tax is exempt.
- Go to the Employees screen.
- Select or create an employee and choose the Deductions tab.
- Locate the new custom deduction account that you created.
- You can then choose the Method, input the dollar amount or percentage, and then choose the check boxes exempt for tax exemption if applicable.
- When finished, click the Save button.
When you generate a payroll check for this employee in the Checks screen, click on the Deductions button, check the box and click OK.