When trying to run reports in the program, you may receive an error:
Crystal Reports: Failed to Open Document
This is an error that users will experience when trying to access or run a Report on their system using their Invoices program's Reporting feature against their saved invoice and estimate data. Sometimes the Reports will show anyway on the screen; sometimes the reports will be blank and/or close the program. Technical Support has identified two possible fixes for this problem:
1) Disable "Script Blocking" in Norton AntiVirus
Norton AntiVirus has a known issue in their software that might prevent the Crystal Reports report-running engine of our Invoicing programs from properly displaying reports on the system. Because of the design and configuration of their AntiVirus software, it may prevent OLE objects from running in your chosen report. This option is turned "on" by default upon installation of Norton AntiVirus, but can be shut down by un-checking the option in Norton Antivirus called "Enable Script Blocking".
To disable the "Enable Script Blocking" option:
- Close your Invoices program and the "Failed to Open Document" error message. - Double-click on the Norton AntiVirus icon in the System Tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
- Click on the "Options" button.
- Click on the tab on the left underneath the "System" Heading for "Script Blocking".
- You will see a checkbox next to the option "Enable Script Blocking (Recommended)" - un-check this option.
- Click the "OK" button to apply this change, then close the Norton AntiVirus options window.
- Re-open your Invoices program and attempt to run Reports again.
For more information on this particular aspect of Norton AntiVirus, please see the Symantec website at http://www.symantec.com and search for Technical Support issues regarding "Script Blocking"
2) Uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Word on your system, using the "Custom" installation option
If you do not have Norton AntiVirus or any other program on your system that would prevent an OLE object from running properly, you may find that uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Word may resolve this error as well.
- Use the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Windows Control Panel to uninstall Microsoft Word (or the Word component of a Microsoft Office installation).
- Reboot your system.
- Reinstall Microsoft Word or the Word component of Microsoft Office from your original Microsoft CD.
- Choose the "Custom" installation option.
- When asked for the specific elements to custom install, choose ALL the options available.
- Finish the rest of the Word installation.
- Reboot your system again and then try to run your reports in your Invoicing program again.