If you upgraded from an older version of our invoicing software to our current Invoices & Estimates program, you can import your data from your older program to use in the newer one. However, if you do not fully copy and transfer all the file necessary (Invoices, Customers AND Products) that make up your saved data, you will risk losing data as you attempt to upgrade.
The recommended method to move your data is as follows:
- Make an Invoices "BACKUP" of your current file in your older program before starting your upgrade. If you know for certain that you already have a backup made from your older program, then continue to step 2. Please note that the kind of "BACKUP" that this KB article is referring to is the kind made from within the program, using the "Backup" command in the program's "File " Menu. Other kinds of manual backups that you might make using other methods will more than likely leave behind some of your data, and is not recommended. Only a Invoices "BACKUP" file will fully transfer your data when upgrading.
To make a BACKUP file if you have not already done so, open your old program and then open your existing data file that you want to transfer. Before continuing, look in the "Title" Bar of the program and make note of the EXACT name of your currently open invoices filename (You'll need it later). Then, choose FILE -> Backup from the Menu. Now, put a BLANK 3.5" Floppy disk into your (A:) drive and click the Browse button. Make sure that the "Look In" dialog at the top of the Backup window says "3.5" Floppy A:". You should have a "Filename" for your BACKUP similar to "filename Backup.bak ". If you do, and you have selected the (A:) drive, click the Open button. Then, finally click the OK button to start making your backup. When you are done, you should get the message "Selected Files Backed Up Successfully ". Now, close your old program.
- Once you have a BACKUP ready to go on your floppy disk, you will want to remove your older MyInvoices program from your hard drive:
Use the Windows Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel to remove the program from your system. If you have an older version of our invoicing program that does not register itself in the Add/Remove Programs listing, you should manually use the Windows Explorer to CUT the old program's main installation program folder in your (C:) drive and place it in the "Recycle Bin". Do NOT "empty" the Recycle Bin until after you are confident that you have finished transferring all your data successfuly.
- Once the old program is removed, restart your system (START -> Shut Down -> Restart). Once your system reboots, INSTALL your newer Invoices & Estimates program version on your computer using the program's "Getting Started Quickly " Guide for reference.
- After you've loaded the new program, Double-click the program's icon on the Desktop to open the program. You will most likely be presented with a dialog with buttons to "Create", "Open" or "Cancel ". Click Create. (If you do not get this message dialog with these buttons and the program automatically opens your old file, proceed to step 6) - you are not finished yet).
- When clicking Create you will be given the option to "name" your invoice file that you are going to "Create". It is VERY IMPORTANT that you name the filename here EXACTLY the same name as the invoices file you were using before in step 1). So if your file was called "company invoices" before in your older program, you again want to use that name here in the "Create " file dialog. Once you've typed in the name, click Open - then click Cancel on the "Setup Wizard Step 1 " window that will appear.
- You should now have an invoices file open that is the same name as you were using before. Because the name is the same, we can restore the BACKUP file into this program to put all your information into the file again. To do so, click the File Menu, then choose Restore From Backup. A dialog window will appear - put your 3.5" Floppy disk with your BACKUP file in your computer that you made in Step 1) then click the Browse button. You should get a new Browsing window and you will want to change the "Look In" drop-down at the top here to say "3.5" Floppy A:". Once it says this, you should see the name of your BACKUP file in the window underneath. Click ONCE on the BACKUP file, then click the Open button.
- You will come back to the window with the "Restore " title. Make sure the three checkboxes for Invoices, Customers and Products are ALL checked. Once they are, click the OK button.
You should get the following message:
"Restoring from Backup will replace the contents of your current (FILENAME AND PATH) and could result in lost data. Are you sure you want to continue?"
You will want to click YES.
The program will then read the data from your disk and work for a second or so while it replaces the empty file with all your information on your BACKUP. When it's done, check your REGISTER, CUSTOMER and PRODUCT Tabs in the main screen of the program to view your data - it should all be there.
If the program detects that the invoice file name does NOT match you will get an error message like the following:
The selected file does not contain valid information for NEW.INV. However, the file does contain valid information for OLD.INV. If you want to restore OLD.INV you must open the file.
In this message the name of your currently open invoice file's name will display where NEW.INV is and the name of the original invoice file will display where OLD.INV is. Write down the name of the original invoice file and click OK. Then, click Cancel in the Restore from Backup dialog. Open the File menu and choose New File to create a new file using the original file name.
If you need help restoring your data beyond the instructions in this message, please contact Technical Support.