Note: To import an external file into a database, you must be logged in as the database's Administrator to do so).
If the data file you want to import is currently open, close it before continuing.
- Open the database that you want to import the list into.
- Open the File menu and choose Import to open the Import dialog.
- Choose the type of program that created the file you want to import from the Files of Type box.
- Locate the drive and folder where the file is saved by clicking in the Look-in drop-down list and choosing the folder.
- Select the file you want to import.
- Click OK (or Open ).
- When you import a text file, the Use First Record for Field Names dialog opens.
If the first line of the file contains field names, such as ?First_Name,Last_Name,Address,?? click Yes. This line is not imported as data.
If the first line contains data, such as ?Bob,Smith,123 Main St,?? click No. This line is imported as one of your records.
After you click Yes or No, the Assign Import Fields dialog opens. Use this dialog to match the fields from the import file to the fields in your current file.
- If the bottom-left dialog box for Fields in Import File is completely empty, then simply click the OK button. If the bottom-left dialog box for Fields in Import File has field name entries in it, you will need to assign those fields to an appropriately-matching field from the bottom-right dialog box for Fields in Current File. Do this by left-clicking to highlight a field entry in Fields in Import File list, then finding its appropriate match and clicking on it in the Fields in Current File listing. When you do this, both entries should disappear from their respective lists and re-appear as a field assignment in the top dialog box (For example, you might need to click on First Name in the Fields in Import File listing and then click on its "match" in the Fields in Current File listing, which is First).
- Repeat step 8 until you have assigned every field from the Fields in Import File listing (so that it is empty), or it contains the leftover fields you have decided you do not need. Click OK when you are done.
Note: The data in any unassigned fields will not be imported into your current file. The imported records are added to the end of your file. If you have already sorted your list, you may want to sort again to put the records in order.