Files from your database program can be copied to CD, but they cannot be opened directly from the CD to use in the program. This is because the CD is read-only and our program needs to be able to access the files and have them available to modify. This need to be able to read and write a data file pertains to many other Windows programs as well.
If you try to open a file directly from a CD, you will get the following message:
"The database file cannot be opened in exclusive mode. Either it is already open in another program or it is marked as Read Only."
To successfully open a file that you saved to a CD, you will need to Copy and Paste the files from the CD to a folder on your hard drive.
Here is how you can copy your files from your CD to your hard drive:
- In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the file or folder you want to copy on your CD.
- On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- Open the folder or disk where you want to put the copy.
- On the Edit menu, click Paste.
- Repeat for all files on the CD.
To select more than one file or folder to Copy at one time, hold down the CTRL key, and then click the items you want as you hold this key. You will see each file highlight along with others you have clicked. This will also allow you to Paste the files at the same time as well.
After you have made your hard drive copy of your CD contents, you will need to change the Properties for each file so that they are NOT set to Read-only.
To change file or folder properties:
- In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the file or folder whose properties you want to change.
- On the File menu, click Properties.
- Un-check the "read only" property setting.
- Click Apply and OK
- Repeat for each file that make up your list database.
Once you are done you can open the list file from your hard drive.